GOVERNMENTPermitsMoving Permits   

Moving Permits: Annual, Single Trip, and Septic

In order to make the processing of moving permits more efficient and timely, the St. Louis County Public Works Department now implements an electronic permit application. EPermitting is an internet based permitting site that allows the user to submit a moving permit online, then allows its users to print moving permits directly from their personal computer, or access the permit from their smartphone. Moving permit applications will only be accepted through the ePermitting application. 

Click here to apply for your moving permit using the St. Louis County Public Works ePermitting Application

The reference manual (below) provides instructions for creating a new user account, submitting a moving permit application, and managing your moving permits. Also note: Before you can apply for your permit, you must email your certificate of insurance for insurance verification. St. Louis County requires the following minimum insurance requirements per Minnesota Statue 466.04 under General Liability:
- $1,500,000.00 each occurrence
- $500,000.00 per injury
- No less than $2,000,000.00 general aggregate
- St Louis County to be listed as additional insured
- The following information listed as the Certificate Holder:
  St. Louis County Public Works
  4787 Midway Road
  Duluth, MN 55811

**If you are a transportation company from Canada, you also need to include a letter from your insurance company stating your policy is effective in the United States and Canada UNLESS your policy states policy paid in US Dollars.


The St. Louis County moving permit is composed of the following permit types. Each permit is charged a single, one-time fee.

 Permit Type Description
Annual Permit   Unlimited moves allowed per permit    $114.00 USD  Designed for frequent users, such as transportation companies, that frequently move oversized/overweight loads during a single year.
  Single Trip Permit  One move allowance per permit   $22.00 USD Designed for the infrequent user who needs to make an occasional oversized/overweight move in St. Louis County 
Septic Permit  One move allowance per permit $22.00  Designed for septic companies that must make an emergency service call for a septic tank during seasonal load restrictions.
Spring Load Restrictions typically occur in March, April & May.


Although moving permit applications are submitted electronically, St. Louis County can only accept payment for the moving permit application fee via check or money order. All checks need to be made payable to: St. Louis County Auditor.


Do I need to apply for a moving permit?
Click here for moving permit specifications

Do I need an escort? Based on the information you provide while applying for your permit the permit will tell you in the special provisions if an escort is needed or not. If one is in fact needed, click here for a list of registered moving escorts in Minnesota.

Can I have a police escort? Anyone may ask the County Sheriff, State Patrol or any law enforcement agency to be an escort, but the law enforcement agency will likely require the requestor to pay for the service. Please note that our transportation permit terms require a police escort when for our large dimensions.

What are St. Louis County's Insurance requirements for a transportation permit? St. Louis County follows Minnesota State Statue 466.04 regarding insurance minimum requirements. These requirements are listed above, however you may click here for a sample insurance certificate. If you or your insurance agent have questions regarding the required insurance limits please call our office at 218-625-3830 and ask to speak with a transportation permit administrator.

I applied for a new ePermitting account and activated it with the link that was sent to my email address. Why am I receiving a message stating I can't apply for a moving permit? Before you can apply for a moving permit St. Louis County Public Works requires a copy of your company's insurance certificate to be on file with our office. (Please see the insurance requirements listed above). If you have done this already please contact our office for further assistance by calling 218-625-3830.

If you have questions, please call (218) 625-3830 for assistance.